Locust Projects is committed to supporting the creation and presention of ambitious new work. Existing work is not accepted for Open Calls. Proposals for new, installation-based work that has never been presented before should specifically be designed for our Project Room. We present visual artists working in any medium and any stage in their career as long as the work they propose for Locust Projects demonstrably pushes their practice in new directions as part of our mission to invite risk-taking and experimentation. Collectives and artist collaborations are encouraged to apply as long as the work is presented as a singular vision. Artists addressing social justice issues including race, identity, gender parity, basic needs, climate change, environmental advocacy, and more, through their projects are encouraged. Final projects are realized with support from a collaborative environment and supportive Locust Projects staff.
PROJECT ROOM OPEN CALL OPPORTUNITY
- Solo exhibition of ambitious and new, installation-based work created specifically for Locust Projects Project Room (approx. 400 square feet) floorplan to come
- Community engagement with the public through public programs or activations (i.e. conversation, collaboration, performance)
PROJECT ROOM RESOURCES AND SUPPORT
- $3500 max Production Budget (may include but is not limited to: production/fabrication, equipment rental, materials, professional/technical support, installation/construction labor, assistants, shipping, de-installation) Final budget determined based upon dates, proposal scope and scale of project, feasibility.
- $1500 Artist Fee plus $30 per diem stipend for out-of-town artists up to 10 days and $350 towards roundtrip flights and ground transport available to artists that live 150 miles away from Miami (above and beyond travel expenses shall be applied to production budget). Artists may use the Artist Fee at thier discretion.
- Basic infrastructure provided by Locust Projects includes access to use existing tool and av equipment inventory, up to 10 hours preparator labor/assistance for install/de-install, signage, installation documentation, and promotional support
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Proposals are reviewed by a rotating jury of artists that have previously exhibited at Locust Projects and one local curator. The following criteria will be used during the review process:
- Conceptual strength of the proposal, ambitious ideas, scale and/or use of space
- Strength of past work
- Unique or innovative approach to transforming or activating LP's space and extension of the artist's practice
- Feasibility of proposed project and related programs within budget and logistical concerns
- Compelling approach to contemporary artistic practice, societal concerns, and/or community impact
Please keep in mind, we are a non-traditional alternative art space. If the project could easily be presented in a traditional or commercial gallery setting or could be realized without the support of our organization, it is unlikely for us to consider your proposal. We do not show existing work, host traveling exhibitions, retrospectives, or group shows. We are not a commercial gallery, we do not offer artist representation.
Locust Projects is proud to be W.A.G.E. Certified (Working Artists in the Greater Economy), ensuring that we have and we will continue to compensate artists fairly, at, or above, minimum W.A.G.E. fees For more information on W.A.G.E. certification, click here.
The PROJECT ROOM 2023 Open Call will be announced in Januray 2023.
Watch our Virtual Info Session here - Locust Projects co-founder Elizabeth Withstandley shares more about the open call and gives expert tips on submitting a compelling proposal.
Late submissions will not be accepted. (Please allow time for possible technical difficulties by submitting well before the deadline.)
Please direct questions to email@example.com.
Submit all of the above through Submittable.
Hours: Wednesday-Saturday 11am-5pm - come visit! All welcome.
Want to know about upcoming exhibitions, programs, and events?
Get Artist eNews with opportunities for artists? Get connected: sign up for monthly eNews here.
As Miami's leading alternative nonprofit art space, we rely on the support of donors to sustain our program. Thank you for considering a tax-deductible donation today.